Wednesday, February 20, 2008

SMLP update and screen designs

Over the half term break I have been concentrating on putting together the elements needed for my website. This involved constructing the upload page, image processing page and the gallery which will show the uploaded images.

I have found that a lot of time is spent putting code together and checking for errors, making the production of a 'finished product' relatively slow. I have found that my error detection has improved significantly over the project, and now have a better understanding of what is happening when my PHP code is run. I can now make small changes to effect the outcome of what is generated, for example the file directories the images are placed in, and the variables that I can add in to increase the functionality of the website.

I think that some of the things I have been doing are now beginning to 'stick', certainly much more since my last SMLP post.

One hurdle I will need to overcome this week is finding out how to upload my PHP code to my webspace. In theory, this should be fairly easy as I have created my databases with the PHPMyAdmin software, so tables and the like should be easy to export from offline to online.

Now that I have a working prototype of sorts for my image gallery, I can now focus on how the page will look. A lot of the code I have used has tables and cells for its layout, and this will obviously have to be converted to CSS if possible.

For my screen design I have chosen to use a dark background, as this will allow the pictures to stand out from the page. There will be 2 main parts of the website, one will be the upload section, and one will be the gallery page showing the uploaded images. Between these sections is a page which allows the user to alter the image, by adding a caption, changing it to black and white, or adding a watermark to the picture.

Below are the designs I have done for the site. I have chosen to make the background and the column all the same colour, as using a pattern or repeat background would break if a large image was uploaded to the website. This design should stop this from happening.

Comments are appreciated.

No comments: