Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A10: Portfolio design v2

After gaining feedback from my first screen design, I have made amendments to improve the look and function of the website. I have had a rethink about how the website will work from a mechanical basis, and from a visual perspective too.

On the 'Web' page, I will show a list of the projects as 'article excerpts' with a thumbnail picture of the project . Textpattern allows you to have an 'excerpt' of the full article, which can then link to the full article on another page. I hope that this system will allow visitors to have an overview of my web work in a more compact space, and can choose to read about the product in detail .

Overall I have cut down the amount of blue lines on the site, to make a much cleaner looking page. I have also rebalanced the content in the header, and specified a few more fonts and colours in my design. As usual, constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks to all the others who commented last time.

3 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

It's difficult to tell from your screen design the sizes of things, but everything still looks a little bit too big in proportion to each other, and the thick lines still look a bit too thick.

The edges of your design are bugging me too - I think it needs something there to give it a finality on the edges; either align the content left or right, or fill the full space. As it currently looks, it could be difficult to read if there are a few more pieces of work on the homepage.

The sub-nav bar looks a bit odd at the top of the page, and I'd suggest getting rid of it and just leaving the one at the bottom right of the page. At the very least, I think it needs making smaller.

Moving to your main navigation, I think some users could become confused with your choice of button names. What does "web" and "print" mean when it is out of context on the navigation like that? I think these two need changing to something more obvious like "print portfolio" or "print work".

Julian Dyer said...

I agree that some things need proportion changes. This is what really bugs me about having to do screen designs in InDesign - there is less mathematics involved in a game of Numberwang than there is trying to convert mm to pixels, and text does not look as it would appear on the screen either. We've had people come in and say they do their real world screen designs in Photoshop rather than ID, and doing it to real size at 72dpi and showing it in an online record seems to make infinitely more sense to me. Anyway, rant over.

I though when there was something bordering the page you asked me to change it. Quote:

"there is far too much distracting block blue around your design that keeps pulling my eyes away from the text"

I think the solution would be to have no sides, and to just the content fill the space of the page.

I will also reduce the size of the sub navigation, as it looks too big.

I don't agree that adding the word 'work' to print and web would make it easier to understand; someone 'in the know' would know what it meant, someone wanting something do be made for them would know which they would want to look at - its not a case of apple and pears with their definitions.

Craig Burgess said...

I agree with the comments about using InDesign to make comps, and I've started using Photoshop for the original comp and a final one in InDesign. It allows you to get a better indication of sizes.

Yeah, filling the whole container with content would look better, so it creates an invisible edge.

With regards to the navigation, just because you claim people would 'know', it doesn't hurt to make it a little bit easier.