Thursday, November 02, 2006

One Trick Pony

After a half term where the workload mimicked the first half semester, in the way that the production of work greatly increased towards the end, it was time to return to college and proceed on the next assignments.

On Wednesday morning I arrived at my usual early morning time to a room which would be filled with anxiety as the anticipation of results grew. Within only a couple of minutes, I had already been told by Steve that my sketchbook was difficult to read. This did nothing to enrich my confidence, which was quickly ebbing away.

Steve outlined some of the problems that had been occurring throughout some people’s assignments, and as he reeled off error after error the tension in the room increased.

We left the room for a break at 10 o’clock, a break that could not last long enough.

When we returned, our grades had been stuck on the wall. Everybody gathered around and tried to find their grades on the sheet. To my amazement, I had somehow dodged the grammatical, academic and artistic minefield, and passed both modules. I even had to go back and double check, in case from my crowded, off axis viewing angle I had somehow read another person's results.

After a momentary release of pressure from completing and passing the first assignment, it was only a matter of minutes before the pressure was building again, as we read through the next assignment. I felt a certain amount of frustration that I had just finished one web plan, only to go straight into another which would need twice as much work. We had also been told to try and get the next level up grades, which only quadrupled the work, as well as the margin for error.

Wednesday afternoon was spent on time planning for the next few weeks work. I hoped to create a better time plan, and to actually stick to it this time. I know that if I have to achieve the next grades up, I will have to be working flat out over the next few weeks.

On Wednesday night, I decided to relax with some music and Photoshop. I decided to combine both elements into a piece of Photoshop art. I found a tutorial on how to turn a picture into a Roy Lichtenstein style piece of Popart. I scanned a picture of Eliza Carthy, as I found that a lot of elements of the picture, particulaly the hair and the violin, added some interesting textures and features to the composition. You can see the image I created below.
I was very impressed with the result, especially the way the yellow on the violin appears around the bridge area. I email this image to the owner of the website, Melissa Clifton, and she replied saying that she was impressed with my work, and that I was, in her words, “obviously talented”. I enjoyed this piece of critisism, but it certainly will not make me complacent with future pieces of work. This goes for using other programs too, as I do not want to become a “one trick pony”.

Thursday started with a lecture on bitmap and vector graphics (of which there is an excellent Photosho based tutorial here). Although I was familiar with some of the practical issues with using both of these, I was not aware of the more technical aspects. I found the lecture very informative, and I believe it will only improve my Photoshop skills. I found the information on print documents very relevent, as I am currently creating a tutorial for my Netkar Pro skins using InDesign CS2.

After our 10 o’clock break, we discussed the difference between being an artist and being a designer. I believe that I am somewhere between the two, as I have a history of art based education, but I think I also have some of the qualities of being a designer. There is common ground between the two, and the skills which we will be learning by using Photoshop with make demands on them both. Creating an asthetically pleasing piece of design, while keeping the user in mind will help to develop both skills.

During the afternoon, I had a rather curious development in my blog. The creator of the http://www.tonybenn.net/ website had contacted me, asking for some constructive critisism for his site.

I was somewhat dumbfounded by this, much to the sadistic delight of Rob who took much merryment from my predicament. I did feel somewhat guilty, for lambasting the website in the way I did. I now realise that I should have edited my blog post and been more constructive. I will get in contact with the creator, and offer him some constructive critisism, and possibly say what I said in my assignment. I want help him in any way I can with my current skills to make his website more pleasing to use, and allowing users to access the vast content within the site.

It will be interesting to see what will come out of this, and I will keep people informed via my blog.

I am currently feeling very enthusiastic about the challenges which are ahead. I know that I can now relax by doing one of Malissa Clifton’s excellent tutorials, and still be making a contribution to my sketch pad by sticking in the results and annotating them. I believe that now I have clarified what can be put into it, that I can easily fill a couple over the coming weeks with inspirational designs and colour schemes.

I have rather a lot of work to do, both course and non-course related, and I hope to keep my avid readers informed as I progress through the forthcoming tasks. Over the next week I will be researching my goals for A3, and writing my comparative analysis of Designers Republic artwork for A4. I’m sure I can squeeze some Photoshop or InDesign in somewhere (all logged in my time plan, of course!).

13 comments:

Rob said...

Haha, I believe you should be more careful what you write in your blog in future, and I would hardly call it "sardistic" although you must admit we were all rather shocked by the comment.

I know exactly what you mean by the tension in the room before the results were given.

Anonymous said...

Superb blog entry.

Julian Dyer said...

Rob, I think we both know you enjoyed watching me squirm a little too much. As you rather forcefully announced to Steve before I was even in the meeting that I had something to talk about, I can only conclude that you were waiting with great anticipation for the sparks to fly.

Thank your for your comment, Steve.

Craig Allington said...

Julian surely you know Rob's attitude to people by now.

But as Steve said, I think that it is a wake up call for everyone that people outside college DO read peoples blogs. And that they may be a stepping stone to employment. After all, if the creator of the website asks for your views, he may ask you to help design a new website for him. Even if you don't get paid for it it's experience that you can use both on your CV and in assignments for college.

Dean said...

How did the Tony Benn website designer find out? Was it from your blog? Very interested to see how he changes it. Maybe we can give him one of our famous lists as a group then your not on your own.

Julian Dyer said...

I dont know. I have emailed him through the link on his website, but I have yet to receive a reply. I apoligized for any offence caused, and asked him if there was anything to do to help. I think that was proffesional of me.

Anyway, Tony Benn website aside, what does anyone think to my Pop Art picture of Eliza Carthy? Likes? Dislikes?

Dean said...

They look great but I don't know who she is as I am too young.

Rob said...

I'm with Dean, I don't know who she is but the pic is good. I apologize for bringing it up in the way I did but I also didn't realise that Steve was listening, And I really didn't enjoy it that much, I'm not that much of a "saddist."
Anyway, You can't really complain, It gave you a perfect opportunity to give feedback and possibly make a website for him.

Julian Dyer said...

"I don't know who she is" - Tut, philistines!

Joking aside, I still have not received a reply from the website creator.

As the weeks progress, I would definitely recommend following the tutorial I did, because it gets you use to features in Photoshop such as the Pen tool (which is rather fiddly to use) and using transparent layers. There were a lot of new skills and techniques I learned from using it and the results created would make a great addition to people’s sketchbooks.

Jamie Wood said...

Have you recieved a reply from the creater of the Tony Benn site? You are quite talented with using photoshop as well and hope i can learn a thing or two by been next to you for the next assignments.

Julian Dyer said...

No, I still haven't received a reply. I'm quite dissapointed that they have not got back to me, but maybe I will receive something over the next few days.

I would be glad to help you with the Photoshop tasks, but I think Steve will be better at explaining things to complete novices, which is a skill in itself.

If anyone needs any help with using it, please feel free to ask me. If anyone wants to see some other Photoshop work that I have done, just ask and i'd be glad to provide some links.

Marc Pugh said...

You can send me some links if you can please. Im a complete noob at Photoshop. Nice artwork by the way. Ill be adding more "Flash" images up soon. Hope they look alright.

Julian Dyer said...

My advice for now Marc would be to wait until we start using Photoshop in class. I think Steve will be better explaining things from scratch, and also there aren’t that many decent tutorials for beginners on the internet.

Alternatively, I would recommend either borrowing or buying a tutorial book. This is how I taught myself Photoshop, and literally within a few days I was producing work on my own. I will of course be adding links to the "Useful Photoshop links" element on the side of my blog as I find them.

I wouldn't worry too much about learning Photoshop. I can understand that it is a daunting program to use, but in actual fact it’s easy once you understand the basics.