Friday, October 20, 2006

Panic over, Party Started

Over the past week I have been finishing off the last few bits of my first assignment. This included writing my evaluation, which I found to be a good way of collecting my thought about the progress of the assignment. I identified areas where I had done well, such as my academic writing and working with colleagues to discuss work matters, and areas where I needed to improve. These included technical aspects such as choosing screen dimensions, as well as time planning which I felt could have been better.

On Wednesday I had to print off all my work and check through to see that I had not made any silly mistakes. Printing off my colour pages was the most costly part of all my assignment, and I kept noticing mistakes with each one I had done. After several costly drafts I finally managed to get my pages up to the correct standard. There was a slight moment of panic when the colour printer in the library ran out of ink, but luckily the library staff quickly and efficiently changed the cartridge and the panic was over. I realised that this was one of the unforeseen events that Steve mentioned which I would have to have a contingency plan for.

In the afternoon on Wednesday I had finished all my work, including my merit reference page. I now only had to burn my CD and I was finished. Thankfully, Steve approved my CD label so that I could have everything except my folder label finished before the morning. After my CD had been burnt and labelled, I decided to try it in the computer I was sat at. I placed the CD into the drive and pressed the button. Once I checked that my files could be read, I again pressed to button to eject the CD. To my complete and utter horror, the CD drive did not open. I decided that I should shut down the machine and try the drive again. Thankfully, the drive did open, and I then put my CD safely into my folder before another event sent my heart rate through the roof.

Thursday morning was now upon me, and I came in early to hand my work in. I was so early that Steve was not in college yet, but the room had been opened up for us. I bound my folder with string for a second time, as I thought that with my luck the assignment would disobey the laws of physic and escape somewhere between the classroom and reception. I took my work down and handed it in, signing the sheet to confirm that I had done so.

Overall I was very pleased with the assignment that I handed in, but weather it is good enough for a pass or not, only time will tell. I would not want to make any presumptions about my work, as I do not want to look a complete fool if it is not up to scratch.

I am glad that half term is here now, as it will give me a break from the endless printing, reprinting, and wrestling with PageMaker. I am really looking forward to next half term when we start using Photoshop, and I will hopefully recuperate my energy to go into the next two assignments on full steam.

No comments: