Thursday, October 05, 2006

I love/hate Adobe PageMaker – Delete as applicable

This week there was a strong contrast between Wednesday and Thursday. I found Wednesday excruciating, because PageMaker would not do what I wanted to. I kept having trouble with text boxes, pictures, and pretty much every other feature included in the package.

Thursday, however was a totally different experience. I started to put my work into PageMaker through the template that had been created for us. This did work very well, as opposed to Wednesday where I left college in a state of rage, which I stayed in for several hours after. Only a soothing session of Photoshop in the evening could bring me back down to earth, and make Thursday a day to look forward to.

I managed to get all the required work done for Thursday’s feedback meeting, including a total rework of my digital screen designs. I was surprised at how well PageMaker could work if it was done correctly. It definitely has a one track route of doing certain tasks, but once I became familiar with these then I could exploit its features to my advantage.

Thursday’s feedback went well, where we criticised each others work. I made many criticisms of Chris’s lack of dimensions on his screen designs, only for him to pick up on my lack of the same features on my own. We all managed to get enough time to look at each others work, and thankfully everyone is moving in the right direction.

This week has been a contrast of emotions; from anger and frustration, to satisfaction and pride in my own work. I believe that I should be able to move forward and tie up all the loose ends in my project, such as referencing my sources and making adjustments to my screen designs.

I think I need to plan out all the pieces which need finishing off so that I can print a draft of my finished assignment for next weeks feedback session. Next week will be all about editing, re-editing, and editing again. My printer credit will surely take a hammering next Wednesday and Thursday.

No comments: