Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Presentation, Pie, and the Sculpture Park

The day of the presentations had arrived, after a 2 weeks of holiday and self study. I did not feel awfully well this morning, but soldiered on regardless. I felt less nervous about this presentation, and I feel that as I do more my confidence grows.

This confidence came from having reliable research which I gained from getting the
The Stratocaster Chronicles: Celebrating 50 Years of the Fender Strat book, which contained a lot of detail about how the Strat became so popular. I focused on how the product itself became an icon through its design, and I’ve now become aware about how much the small details count – something which I hope to emulate on the course.

My presentation was pretty well timed – I went with the principle of making 1 slide for every 30 seconds, plus a start and end slide which would only be on screen for a couple of seconds. I think I covered all the bases, as I talked about how the Stratocaster has affected our culture, as well as foreign cultures and what features set it apart from the competition.


In the afternoon we went on a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It is one of my favourite places to visit, not only because they sell Samuel Smiths and Ossett Brewery’s finest ales, but because of the rich natural environment.


After a lovely steak and potato pie (made with Ossett Brewery’s Treacle Stout) Chris T and I wandered around the park looking at the exhibits and taking many pictures of anything which caught our eyes. I found that at this time of year there were many beautiful colours in the trees, and many textures on the bark. I’m hoping that these will come in useful when putting together creative work for the new assignment, and I will continue to use photography as part of the process. Some pictures from today are posted below.
For my creative process for this assignment I am going to use many other different types of media, including collage materials, paints, pastels (oil and chalk) as well as pencils and paper. This should give me plenty of ideas to work from, but I am expecting that turning my creative work into a commercial product will be very tough. I would think that the reverse creative process may be a good way to work with artistic clients, as they could produce documents such as ideas boards which could then be converted into a final product.

After returning from our trip out, we were told our grades for the CSS Beauty assignment. I have received a merit for this assignment, which means I have already filled half my quota for my goal of getting 4 merits in this final year. Apparently I just missed out on a distinction which is a bit disappointing, but I was only aiming for a merit anyway. I think having the dreaded man flu the day before hand in may have had an effect, but that’s life. My official assignment feedback will be next week, which I am looking forward to.

I recently purchased a book called Fingerprint: The art of using handmade elements in graphic design. This book has shown me that you can combine graphic design with traditional print techniques. OpenType fonts look very interesting, as you can randomise characters within a font library to generate hand written looking type.

I have also purchased Caffine for the Creative Mind which I am hoping will give me some ideas on how to get my creative juices flowing for this assignment. It is yet to arrive, but the synopsis looks promising.

10 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Well done on getting the merit that you aimed for on your CSS assignment.

I got the grade I wanted on my assignment and the one I aimed for. Due to me starting the course a few weeks late and the fact that it was our first assignment, I just aimed myself for a pass. Now I know the assignment structure I can begin to aim for higher in future assignments.

I'm particularly looking forward to the 'Image Rights' assignment as I love being creative (even though in my opinion I'm not that good at it).

Thanks for your comments about designers & artists, I think you have some very valid points!

Craig Burgess said...

I'm looking forward to trying out some different media too, and I'm still trying to think of some different ways of transferring my ideas to my sketchbook that don't involve using the PC.

I think I'm going to start with collages to begin with and see what comes out with that. I think I missed a trick by not buying some of those stumpy crayon things that they were selling at the YSP, but they were pretty expensive to say what they are.

Chris Towell said...

I love that silhouetted picture the light has been captured really well. Next time your on MSN can you send it across please.

Have to say I've tried Sam Smiths and it was quite nice (obviously not at the sculpture park).

As for experimenting in different medias I think I might have a go using paint etc. Wonder if Mr B know's what paint is?

Mark Torrington said...

Combining graphic design with traditional print techniques and photography, should give you some interesting results. You mentioned textures, are you planning to use these? Michael C Place - also derives inspiration from less ‘designed’ objects. Congratulation on the merits, well done you!. I am also suffering from affects of man flu.

I agree with your comments on John Browne’s Blogger, however believe an artist is someone with a natural ability, not a technical one.

DREW said...

Those books sound really interesting, you will have to let me have a look if you bring them into class.

I like the pictures you took at the park, looks like you have a good eye for photography.

Also thanks again for the lift.

Julian Dyer said...

@ Suzanne: Thanks, you now have some experience to build on for you next assignment, it is always good to aim for a certain grade and go for it. I usually aim for merits and above, as I have some good systems in place to do so.

@ Craig: Doing stuff with different media should be a good experience for you. I just hope that we aren’t stuck doing some kind of vector based product, as that could really sap some of the life out of the assignment. Having lots of textures on our product could make it a lot more interesting.

I’ll also be doing collages, I’ll try and bring in my boxes o’paper.

@ Chris: I’ll send it across sometime… as it is an amazing piece of art, I’ll be expecting a Double Decker in return :)

£1.28 at my local for a pint of Sam Smiths… can’t be beat – except by a pint of Excelsior at Harry’s Bar.

I’m a bit cautious with using paint – don’t think Steve would want the room getting covered in it. I think I may do any wet media stuff at home, and keep dry media for doing at college. I’d advise using a palette knife and doing some abstract stuff - may produce some good results.

@ Mark: Combining the two elements can give a lot of depth to the work – hopefully out product will allow us to do this. I’ll have a look at Michael C Place’s stuff, thanks for that.

I believe that some parts of technical art can be learned, but a natural ability is what makes a good artist an incredible one.

@ Drew: I’ll bring those books in on Wednesday for people to have a look at. I don’t really know anything about Photography, sometimes a lot of it is luck I’m considering doing some kind of course in the future, as I really enjoy it.

No probs about the lift – although my mums car was struggling a bit!

Richard said...

I like the fact you have found inspiration from the park itself. I would say half of my images are pictures of the trees and landscapes that were inspiring by themselves. I am a little bewildered on how to turn these images into a good graphic design image, but the book you mentioned about this sounds really interesting and I will be going uptown to have a look for this now.

I wish I�d have tried one of the pies from their now, its just about dinner time and its making me hungry!

Ben Waller said...

Well done on achieving a Merit for CSS Beauty Julian. I feel that our ability to use CSS is going to be really important when it comes to getting a job after the course.

The books that you have bought for the forthcoming creative task seem really interesting too. I hadn't really considered different media for this assignment before but I will certainly look into this further now.

Marc Pugh said...

I have also thought about collages, and maybe changing the same collage with different themes like the CSS Beauty assignment.

I have also thought about mixing some themes together but I don't think it would look as professional.

I have had a lesson with John today and an idea that he suggested was to sit in a group and each person adds an element to a picture. The picture keeps getting passed around the group and a new layer is added each time.

I think this is a great idea, although maybe do it in small groups would be more ideal? As you would have more turns to get your brain working.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Thanks for the book references! I think you can have a real edge in the design market by combining a range of disciplines.

Have you ever made 'photograms'? They're a superb way to create amazing images using found objects. You do however need access to a darkroom, which could cause problems? However, they're really worth the effort and sound like they would fit in well with the work you're undertaking.

Also did you get some close up shots of the stone arch (on your second photograph)? I think this object alone has considerable scope for investigation and experiementation. It has amazing texture, colour, pattern, shape and authourity. I'll have to go take a look myself.

Good luck with your explorations!