Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Interview questions: Part 2

Describe yourself in 3 words.

Calculated, observant, passive.

How would you describe the effectiveness of your interactive media products?

To test the effectiveness of my products I would conduct a survey with a sample of the target audience, as well as record statistics for a website if this was applicable. The questions would be based around the goals of the project, which would be stipulated in the initial processes. This would include a selection of measurable and subjective goals, which would be evaluated after the survey had been completed. Amendments would then be planned, if needed, to suit the target audience better if any issues arose from the survey.

How do you handle criticism?

Initially, I accept that this criticism is only offered to help me find the right solution for the project. I will defend the decision which I have made when I am challenged on it, as this can show the reasoning behind the decision that I have made. If I know in myself that I have made an error of judgement, I will accept it and then focus on finding and applying a solution. Being caught up in the disappointment of having to alter something serves no purpose, and is only a waste of time. Getting on with the task in hand and finding a new solution must be the priority rather than ‘crying over spilt milk’.

Describe a difficult problem and how you solved it.

When creating my second website for the course I had to learn how to use CSS and XHTML. As I had only produced one site using tables and cells, I found that this was a very daunting prospect. I outlined a plan which involved looking through online tutorials and books to find the resources I needed to make the site. I also planned a set of mini goals so that I could focus on different areas of the site, such as the navigation and preparation of images.

As I started to put the site together I kept a record of how the code had changed for future reference. By the end of the project, I had learnt a solid base of CSS knowledge, much of which I had learn myself. My strategy of planning and my persistence to get the site working were just a couple of essential soft skills which I learnt. I gained a very good grade for the assignment, and produced a classy site which cemented my basic CSS knowledge.

Describe how you fit into a team.

In a team situation, I take my responsibilities very seriously. I believe that being reliable is the most essential part of working in a team, as a project can fail if there are any team members who do not pull their weight. In a team I like to be involved with the heart of the project, as I believe that I can constantly analyse the changing situation. I know that getting on with colleagues is crucial as it removes any awkwardness when it comes to criticising each others work. Colleagues who cannot accept criticism frustrates me greatly, but I have an ability to remain passive and unflustered whatever the situation.

Do you have any questions?

What support do you offer in terms of additional training for staff members?

What is your policy on overtime?

How would you describe the working environment in the company?

Where do you see the company in 5 years time?

What team bonding activities do you have at this company?

12 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

Is passive a suitable word to use Julian? That doesn't say to me someone who I'd want to employ.

I certainly wouldn't want to employ a "passive" person in the interactive media industry.

Julian Dyer said...

It depends on your interpretation of passive. You’ve known me for over a year now, would you think that ‘enthusiastic’ would give an accurate representation of my personality? Certainly not.

I understand that passive can be read as inactive, but my interpretation is someone who is peaceful and conservative. Not everyone in the design industry is a high octane bundle of enthusiasm, so I don’t see that it is an essential quality to have.

Craig Allington said...

From previous interview experiences (both my own and people around me) I think the optimum amount of questions to ask is about 2.

Going in asking too many questions seems like you've not researched the company enough, going in not asking any questions can also seem un enthusiastic about the company however.

Picking the questions was definitely the hardest thing for me though, hence me only picking 2. You've done well to think of so many.

Craig Burgess said...

I understand what you mean about passive, I just consider that word to have too much negative connotations attached to it.

I'm pretty sure passive wouldn't be a good word to use at an interview for an interactive media job, because you've got to be everything but peaceful and conservative.

Whatever way you meant it, I just think the word sounds too negative.

Chris Towell said...

Sometimes it may not be a case of not researching enough, sometimes they may not add details about questions you want to ask.

I see asking questions as being enthusiastic if I can't find the information or, from a interviewer may not have distributed enough information about the job.

I agree there is a limit to how many questions which can be asked but I tend to get more relaxed the longer the interview goes on.

Some people get nervous at the beginning of the interview but get more comfortable as it continues showing their true personality After all they need a good personality as well in my opinion and you can also see if they can fit into the team.

And im still not sure that 'Calculating' is a possitive word.

Ben Waller said...

I agree with Chris about the amount of questions to ask in an interview situation. If I was an employer I would much rather interview somebody who asks several questions and looks interested in working for the company. I would imagine that every interview would be different though and while you have many questions in one interview you may have very little in another.

Craig Burgess said...

It's about using common sense and reading the situation when it comes to asking the right amount of questions.

I'd say in this situation the emphasis is on quality and not quantity, and questions that both show your knowledge of the industry and challenge the employer.

Even as little as one good question could be enough if it requires a long answer. If you're asking 6 questions and getting yes and no answers then the questions you are asking a probably a bit rubbish.

Chris Towell said...

Either that or the interviewer is giving rubbish answers.

I can understand though bad questions should be avoided. Quality questions should be put together before you go for the interview but most questions I have asked have arisen whilst the interview is being conducted.

Mark Torrington said...

Your ‘passive’ characteristic could be quite off putting to potential employers. Although I have never met you, after reading the advice you have given other students, I think you should alter ‘passive’ to ‘supportive’.

Julian Dyer said...

I don’t think that anyone has really grasped what I mean by ‘passive’ Having an emotional detachment from the work is essential if you are going to produce products which are suitable for a client. A passive approach where you are open to suggestions for change from the client and from colleagues is needed to do this.

Passive does not mean that I am not enthusiastic, or that I don’t care about what I do – it just means I don’t get attached to work which isn’t created for me. Is this a bad thing? Certainly not. I think I should have explained it a bit more in my original post though, I’ll try to make things like this clearer in the future.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me that 'passive' isn't the rignt word then - especially if it's causing so much comment. From your description would 'objective' be a better word, or even 'pragmatic'?

Craig Burgess said...

I don't think people are taking issue with the meaning behind it Julian, they're taking issue with how it sounds.

Like I mentioned previously, it sounds too much of a negative word to be able to twist into a positive.

Maybe if you're talking about being able to be detached from your work you should use a more appropriate word to express that. The only one I can think of at the moment is "detached".