Friday, February 09, 2007

Team Roles

After painstakingly and conscientiously looking through the categories at www.belbin.com, I have decided that I fit into the Completer/finisher category. I think this because once I start a task, I relentlessly aim to complete all the work to a high standard. I also feel that I am rather conscientious about the decisions which I have made, and will always aim to change something I feel uncomfortable with. I believe this attention to detail allows me to find errors of fix problems in the work.

There are however some drawback to this style of workflow. I often do not trust people to do something which I could do to a higher standard myself. I always think that some people may not make as many considerations in their production as I would, and this can degenerate my faith in others. I also feel that sometimes I get very anxious about tough decisions, as there is always the “should I have done the other option?” question.

As for the other types of people I would want to work with, I think that balance is the most important aspect to get right. I believe I would need a “plant” type worker, as they could generate initial ideas, which we could then discuss on a technical and implementation level. This would allow us to make a website which is both technically and aesthetically viable, as opposed to creating a design which is hard to implement and would become contrived during production.

Secondly, I believe I would also work well with a co-ordinator type worker. This person would be able to set deadlines which I could then produce work to, so that the production would stay on schedule, and amendments could be made should difficulties arise. I also think that this person would be able to help me make crunch decisions which I would otherwise cause me to become anxious, and would be a great second opinion on such issues.

Thirdly I think that a Shaper would give our team the drive and determination needed to complete tasks. As we may have to work to tight deadlines, a shaper would be able to complete any task s in a short amount of time. As problems often occur with web design, combining this type of worker and a plant worker would allow us to be flexible should problems arise or clients want things changing on short notice.

In the past I have worked in group situations which have been successful. I think this is because I like to do a lot of the task myself, and I don’t really like relying on other people. I think that I have to become more willing to delegate roles to other people, as there will come a point where I simply cannot do all the tasks which would be set out.

No comments: